Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Off Road 4x2/4x4
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Off Road 4x2/4x4
Subject Topic: Pulling the tires further out Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Flaminfrontier

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 07 2006 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Flaminfrontier

I'd like to make my Frontier a bit more stable and less likely to roll, so instead of lifting it further from the 4WD position, I'd like to pull the tires out a bit. Not only do I assume that this might stabilize the truck a bit more, but I know it'll make it look a lot meaner. I'm an amateur at anything car related, so could anyone tell me how much this might be on a 1999 Nissan Frontier Kingcab 4WD and where it might be able to be done? Thanks!

Back to Top View Flaminfrontier's Profile Search for other posts by Flaminfrontier

lakota
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 07 2006 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote lakota

Flaminfrontier;

Here's an article I wrote that might answer a few questions.

WHEELS and Back Spacing... update 01.19.06
... Axles have two WMS (Wheel Mounting Surfaces) - as on the hubs. This does not set the ‘track-width’ of the vehicle. The mounting surface of the wheel can optionally be on the centerline of the tire (zero off-set) or on ether side of the centerline (positive or negative off-set). Most of us use the Back-Space method to determine tire clearance and fitment. As the BS measurement gets smaller the ‘track-width’ of the vehicle gets wider. Older Chevrolet and Wagoneer 4x4s had a BS of about 3.625 inches. Some of the modern 4x4s now have a BS of 5.5 inches. This was done to improve the scrub angle of the front tires. A very small amount of Back Spacing can shorten wheel-bearing life.

Note! Wide Tracking a truck via the BS method will shorten the wheel bearing life and may void  some warrantees! But I've done it for short runs.

... To measure the BS lay the wheel with the outside facing down. Lay a straight edge across the tire mounting lip and measure down to the mounting surface. Don’t confuse Back Space with Off-Set.

... Zero off-set means the mounting surface of the wheel is on the center-line. A wheel can have a positive or negative ‘off-set’. Most people prefer to use the Back Space measurement. As the Backspace measurements become smaller the wheels will be farther outboard and the vehicle will have a wider track width.

... I have run many thousands of miles with my Full Size Jeep wheels (6 on 5.5 15x8 /BS 3.625) on several Nissan 4x4s. The center of the jeep hub and it is about 4.200 inches.

... The Nissan centering hole is 3.925 inches in diameter so the centering hole of Nissan wheels would have to be turned to the bigger diameter to fit the FSJs. Some of the Nissan wheels may not fit over or clear the brakes but some will as they have a variety of BSs and over all diameters. 1999 Frontier Se 4x4 wheels are 6 on 5.5-15x7 and 5.250 BS.

if the PIC does not show it can be seen at:

Or>>

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/jeeps/files/1963-1983-Wagoneers /WheelDia3.jpg

Lug Nut Patterns

... The bolt pattern has two parts, the number of bolts and the the bolt circle diameter. The bolt circle is the circle which passes through the centerline of each of the hubs lugnuts. Wheels with 4, 6 or 8 bolt holes the measurement is simple: Measure from one hole center to the hole center directly across from it. Wheels with 5 bolt holes you measure from the center of one bolt hole to a line (or ruler) that is drawn between the opposite edge of the two opposing bolt holes. The bolt pattern is then indicated by the number of bolts times the bolt circle diameter - for example a 5x5" bolt pattern is 5 bolt hole arranged around a circle which is 5" in diameter. This may also be known as 5 on 5"

Special care must be used in selecting the correct lugnuts for many types of alloy wheels.

Have a good one   and   CUL.. Don S..

'04 FWD 1.8 Sentra '08 FWD 2.4 Camry LE
Fort Worth
Back to Top View lakota's Profile Search for other posts by lakota Visit lakota's Homepage

hintonl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote hintonl

Or Instead of buying new rims look at some spacers.

Back to Top View hintonl's Profile Search for other posts by hintonl

Flaminfrontier

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Flaminfrontier

Will wheel spacers do the same thing, just pull the wheels out to make the wheelbase wider and the truck a bit more stable? Where could I get a discount on wheel spacers? Thanks for the replies.

Back to Top View Flaminfrontier's Profile Search for other posts by Flaminfrontier

hintonl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 10 2006 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote hintonl

I would check in some of those low rider mags

Back to Top View hintonl's Profile Search for other posts by hintonl

blackmagicx
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote blackmagicx

i would not recommend wheel spacers.  on my xterra i have 15x8 wheel 6x5.5 lug 5 3/4 backspacing 33x12.50r15 tires.  i'm not exactly sure about my backspacing, my tires extend about 2 to 3 inches outside the body.  but i have a 3" suspension lift and 2" body lift. you can check with your local tire store, tell them exactly what you wrote on here and they can help you find your size shoes.
Back to Top View blackmagicx's Profile Search for other posts by blackmagicx

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version