Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Off Road 4x2/4x4
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Off Road 4x2/4x4
Subject Topic: Body lift with manual tranny Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
freedom

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 04 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote freedom

Anyone with body lift experiences?
Yes I know they aren't the best option. But, if I decide to body lift my 04 King cab 4x4, how much movement will I lose with my tranny and transfer case stick?

Also been looking at the suspension lift options and Calmini seems to have the best for what I want. Anyone beg to differ?

Supercharger1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nissan Frontier Forums Moderator

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Supercharger1

freedom wrote:
Anyone with body lift experiences?
Yes I know they aren't the best option. But, if I decide to body lift my 04 King cab 4x4, how much movement will I lose with my tranny and transfer case stick?

Also been looking at the suspension lift options and Calmini seems to have the best for what I want. Anyone beg to differ?

There is nothing wrong with installing a BL (body lift) on your 04 4WD Frontier unless that is you install it incorrectly or carelessly... and by doing either the results can be disastrous and/or even a fatal mistake.

Now with that said, a BL will provide extra clearance between the wheels and the body of your truck for the use of larger tires especially when combine with the extra travel of a suspension lift. A BL will also raise the center gravity of your vehicle and you will notice a slight difference in how the vehicle acts on the highway and/or during off-road driving but it will NOT effect the current stock or even an aftermarket suspension system performance. The first question you want to ask is yourself is; What size BL do I really want and why?

The most popular BL design for the 01-04 Frontier and Xterra is the "Performance Accessories Body Lift Kits" and they are available in all 1", 2" & 3" increments. So depending on the size of an added BL height you do choose will answer your question of "how much movement will I lose with my (manual) transmission & transfer case shift levers?"

a.) 1" BL: Will not effect the manual transmission and/or transfer case shift levers to the point that any modification will NOT be necessary. Note: No matter which size BL (1", 2" or 3") is used on an automatic transmission equiped vehicle no modification to the auto shifter is required or even necessary. 

b.) 2" BL:

c.) 3" BL: Will adversely effect both the manual transmission and transfer case shift levers to the point that modification WILL be a necessity for proper and smooth operation for both. The good news is that a bolt-on extension for the manual transmission lever is included with the 3" BL kit and can be installed in just minutes. The not so necessaraly bad news is that the kit also provides an extension for the transfer case shift lever that requires the cutting of the factory transfer case lever and the welding of the 3" extension (cold roll mild-steel stock) piece to it which is included with the BL kit. If the extension is not welded into position correctly a simple reheating of the mild steel extension can be performed to help bend the extension to fit properly and allowing the correct and full movement of the transfer case shift lever to engage or disengage the 4WD Lo - Hi ranges and/or 2WD position.  

The Calmini 3" IFS lift kits are excellent however, I must add that Automotive Customizers; http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/ has a 3" suspension lift kit and complete suspension lift packages (front & rear) which includes chromally tubular upper control arms, greasable ball joints, polyurethane bushings, sleeves, zerk fittings, hardware and much much more, that I have used for over five years now without any issue except for the regular and expected wear & tear maintenance items that comes with these types of suspension lift modifications.

If you are really serious with the whole pre-runner (high speed off-road overland travel/racing) scene then the "Total Chaos" long wheel travel front suspension kit is the way to go then...you will also need to change the front fenders or do plenty of sheet metal cutting to make room for the front suspension travel as well as to help keep the front tires from rubbing too.  

freedom

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 3:49am | IP Logged Quote freedom

Thanks for all the info. I decided to go with my instincts and do the suspension lift. I've done body lifts with other trucks and was overall disappointed because of the many mods to overcome. Automatic trannys handle a BL better anyhow
Aloha from Oahu

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version