Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Modifications (Performance & Looks)
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Modifications (Performance & Looks)
Subject Topic: Cap suggestions for Crew Cab Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bpevans

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 19 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote bpevans

First post.

I have a 2005 Crew Cab Nismo and have finally decided to buy a camper / canopy / cap / shell for it.   Any comments on the various brands or models? Any features really worth the option price?  I've seen LEER and ARE suggested but was curious what experience and reviews people have to offer.

I'm probably looking at the lower end of the offerings,  hoping to spend <1500 for a camper and roof rack.
Back to Top View bpevans's Profile Search for other posts by bpevans Visit bpevans's Homepage

DaChief

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 21 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote DaChief

Aloha,

Dollars aside, you get what you pay for in camper shells.  Being stuck in Hawaii (Please, no pitty! ) I paid more than you probably would for the same model of camper there, but I can't say enough good about the higher end enclosures.

My previous Nissan ('92) had a Brahma shell that was made from formed plastic and could be compressed by a moderate load (~200 lbs?) and nearly always added to the noise level in the truck.  It kept thinks dry and kept the honest people honest...

Now I have a 07 CC LE that I put a SnugTop XTR camper shell on about 6 months ago.  The shell cost ~$2100 installed but I've never regretted the expenditure. (See Gallery pictures...)  The shell is SOLID, never rattles, cannot be opened by evil do'ers without a lot of  trouble, looks like it is OEM and will support just about anything you place on top short of a V8 engine.

The shell is painted at the SnugTop factory to the OEM color of the truck.  The SnugTop website: http://www.snugtop.com/ has a good description of the various styles and features.  Nice to have stuff includes:  An internal ceiling light, a fold-down front window (to clean the panes between the truck and camper) and a clothes hanger for inside the shell. (Never know when you might need a Tux!)

LEER, ARE and other manufacturers are equally as good.  Where I bought mine they handled LEER and SnugTop.  The selling points for me in going with the SnugTop was the top rails that closely matched the rails on my LE, the contours of the shell matching the lines if the truck and frankly... The salespersons recommendation.   It took about 4-6 weeks from purchase to install - including a Pacific cruise.

Hope this helps, take a picture of the final look.

Aloha,  Bob

Old friends; they mean much more to me than the new friends; because they can see where you are; and they know where you've been!
Back to Top View DaChief's Profile Search for other posts by DaChief

iantaitdotcom

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 21 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote iantaitdotcom

I've got an 07' CC and I went with a standard Leer Canopy, and I have had ZERO problems with it.  Very nice fit, quality and styling.  I still hate paying that kind of money for a canopy which is more or less injected fiberglass, but there's nothing worse than a newer truck with an old, mismatched canopy slapped on the back.

Cheers.

IAN

TaSaJaRa

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 23 2008 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote TaSaJaRa

I took a look at your pics Bob, your truck looks very sharp with that top on it. I have been looking at the same XTR top to go on a 2007 King Cab/ Crew Cab.

I am new to the Frontier,(got to buy one) so I have a few quick questions if you don't mind.
Can you get the king cab and the Crew cab with the same size bed, 73.3"
I know they have one smaller. But I was wanting the 6'+ bed on the Crew Cab if they made it. If not I would just go with the King Cab.
One other question, with gas the way it is did the XTR shell make a difference one way or the other in mileage.

Thanks, Craig....

DaChief wrote:

Aloha,

Dollars aside, you get what you pay for in camper shells.  Being stuck in Hawaii (Please, no pitty! ) I paid more than you probably would for the same model of camper there, but I can't say enough good about the higher end enclosures.

My previous Nissan ('92) had a Brahma shell that was made from formed plastic and could be compressed by a moderate load (~200 lbs?) and nearly always added to the noise level in the truck.  It kept thinks dry and kept the honest people honest...

Now I have a 07 CC LE that I put a SnugTop XTR camper shell on about 6 months ago.  The shell cost ~$2100 installed but I've never regretted the expenditure. (See Gallery pictures...)  The shell is SOLID, never rattles, cannot be opened by evil do'ers without a lot of  trouble, looks like it is OEM and will support just about anything you place on top short of a V8 engine.

The shell is painted at the SnugTop factory to the OEM color of the truck.  The SnugTop website: http://www.snugtop.com/ has a good description of the various styles and features.  Nice to have stuff includes:  An internal ceiling light, a fold-down front window (to clean the panes between the truck and camper) and a clothes hanger for inside the shell. (Never know when you might need a Tux!)

LEER, ARE and other manufacturers are equally as good.  Where I bought mine they handled LEER and SnugTop.  The selling points for me in going with the SnugTop was the top rails that closely matched the rails on my LE, the contours of the shell matching the lines if the truck and frankly... The salespersons recommendation.   It took about 4-6 weeks from purchase to install - including a Pacific cruise.

Hope this helps, take a picture of the final look.

Aloha,  Bob

Back to Top View TaSaJaRa's Profile Search for other posts by TaSaJaRa Visit TaSaJaRa's Homepage

DaChief

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 23 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote DaChief

Aloha TaSaJaRa,

The Frontier CC did, the last time I checked, have a 'long bed' configuration that would fit your needs.  Having drove one before I purchased my short bed CC let me tell you, it's a beast to turn and park.  The Frontiers are not known for their short turning radius as it is and adding another 24" to the wheel base makes you feel like you're driving a Limo.  That said, I miss that 24 inches at times.

I didn't drive my LE without the shell for any great period of time, and in those first few weeks I was more driven to see what the 4.0L V6 could do than what the MPG was.  That said, I see an average of 18 mpg overall with about 21 Hwy and about 16 in traffic.  

One thing I noticed as soon as I had the shell put on though, is it seemed to balance the truck.  The rear end had an additional 100 lbs on it and it seemed to firm up the ride.  It also removed the slight bit of wind noise that I did hear before putting on the shell - because of better wind dynamics. 

Hope this helps. 

Bob

Old friends; they mean much more to me than the new friends; because they can see where you are; and they know where you've been!
Back to Top View DaChief's Profile Search for other posts by DaChief

sinfonik

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: May 27 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote sinfonik

I added a Snugtop Super Sport to my '06 crew cab, and aside from some weird initial tailgate door issues that seemed to have resolved themselves (maybe a "settling" issue..?), have had no problems with it.  It's structurally sound, improves rear-wheel grip, looks like an oem part, and is a secure place to store stuff I can't or shouldn't toss in the cab.  I haven't noticed any improvement in mileage, though that could be because of my minimal freeway driving.  Couldn't be happier with it, really.

The salesperson where I bought mine said the Snugtops are better insulated and more durable than Leer due to the use of an internal honeycomb structure, rather than just layering down more fiberglass and resin.  Not sure if that's 100% true or not, but it was a good selling point.

nau1995

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote nau1995

I purchased a Jason topper for $1300 installed.  I was expecting to see a small increase in MPG but the weight of the topper cancelled the aerodynamic improvements.  I ended up with the same mileage.   

Back to Top View nau1995's Profile Search for other posts by nau1995

jgreenjr

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote jgreenjr

My truck came with A.R.E  camper  they are really fit this truck ! my truck getting good mpg.,so what you decide or what ever you pick good luck.

proud owner  of Froniter  2003

4x2

4 clc.

16 v.

KA24DE

A Proud owner of
2003 Nissan Frontier XE
Have you driven Frontier lately ?
4 cyl.
4x2
auto.
KA24DE
Stereo:Kenwood KDC BT648U
Ham radio since 2001 N4MJG
Tullahoma Tenn
Back to Top View jgreenjr's Profile Search for other posts by jgreenjr Visit jgreenjr's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version