Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Frontier Modifications (Performance & Looks)
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Frontier Modifications (Performance & Looks)
Subject Topic: Only a 3" lift? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dcmehlhoff

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote dcmehlhoff

I am looking at purchasing a 2000 or 2001 nissan frontier crew cab ( trading in my Z71 Chevy) and all i can find are 3 inch lift kits?  IS their a way i can order a bunch of diffrent parts mix match and maybe get like a 5 inch lift.  I wanna be able to clear atleast 33s and still have some flex room.  NOt sure about frontires but i know on a chevy a body lifts jsut looks really bad ( the bumber is X inches below the taligate), do they look bad on a frontier cause i could just get a suspension lift and a body lift if it looks good. 
Back to Top View dcmehlhoff's Profile Search for other posts by dcmehlhoff

JeffKyleMc

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote JeffKyleMc

I have a 3"bl and 3''sl on my 98 fronty and it dont look bad at all. I didnt even lift the bumper till about a year or so after i put it on. I just rode with the tail gate down.

The body lift wont show near as much frame as a Z will, it will on a Hardbody but not a frontier.

And now to the suspension lift: No you wont be able to mix match parts for a frontier SL. If you had a Hardbody you could get a 4" Trailmaster lift and then put on a Calmini or AC lift with it. the one for the frontier wont be able to, and it wont be a true suspension lift like one you would put on a Z or anyother vehicle. It will be New longer Upper Control Arms with better Ball Joint angles. This is so you can crank your torsion bars all the way up and still get it aligned properly. to my knowledge nobody has made a lift for first gen frontiers that includes diff drop brackets and such. So if you get a SL you are going to have to sacrifice your smooth ride,Cv angles, and steering. And not to steer you away from a Sl but after you put one on and run 33's for a while your probably going to have to beef up your steering(week link on most nissans). New centerlink, idler arm brace, beefer tie rods. Its not near as bad as it sounds, just a little work is involved to get a Nissan SL as close to perfect as you can get it.         &am p;nb sp;

I would suggest piecing your SL together. you wont need alot of the stuff the kit has. All you will need is  UCAs and ball joints for the front and an add-a-leaf for the back. I bought my Calmini UCAs used on NissanOffroad.net for like $180 and bought add-a-leafs for around $60.

here are some places to check out for New suspension products.

Purenissan.com(Calmini)  4x4parts.com(AC) you cant go wrong with either one

Back to Top View JeffKyleMc's Profile Search for other posts by JeffKyleMc

dcmehlhoff

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Apr 10 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote dcmehlhoff

And not to steer you away from a Sl but after you put one on and run 33's for a while your probably going to have to beef up your steering(week link on most nissans). New centerlink, idler arm brace, beefer tie rods. Its not near as bad as it sounds, just a little work is involved to get a Nissan SL as close to perfect as you can get it.         

Then how much are you looking at price wise to upgrade your steering components?  Will it be a rougher ride or will stuff start breaking?  What is the largerest size tire the nissan can have before they need to start upgrading the steering componets?

Back to Top View dcmehlhoff's Profile Search for other posts by dcmehlhoff

JeffKyleMc

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Apr 12 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote JeffKyleMc

the steering will get a lil sloppy. Nothin should break unless you like to jump stuff!! The ride will be rougher due to cranking the tbars(limits travel) but thats just a trade off for a lift when it comes to most nissans.Its not too bad you kinda get accustom to it after a while. I havent upgraded yet and i have ran 32x10.50 tsl radials 31"mts, 30x11.50 thornbirds, and currently 33x12.50 ATs. I have all my parts just havent had time to put them on. My steering hasnt really been that bad and i beat the crap out of mine, but most of my buddies that have lifted nissans have had to upgrade.

You can get a centerlink for around 200 bones and an idler arm brace for about 25 plus shipping. I would check over on Nissan4wheelers.com for the center link a guy that goes by HooHa makes them. And you can check on calmini or AC for the idler arm brace

hdsporty111

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 03 2008 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote hdsporty111

whats the biggest tire you can put on 98 frontier with 3 in bl and 3in sl.      surely like 35s right

Back to Top View hdsporty111's Profile Search for other posts by hdsporty111

hdsporty111

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 03 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote hdsporty111

and is there a bigger sl  for them like a 6in or bigger

JeffKyleMc

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 05 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote JeffKyleMc

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. No there isn't any lift greater than a 3" for the 98 Frontier. I run 33's on mine with no rubbing. I do know of some other guys on another board that run 35's, but im almost positive that they will rub and you'll have to do some fender trimming.

The only way to get 6" of Suspension lift on your frontier is to do a solid axle swap(SAS). which would be pointless unless you offroad quite a bit and are willing to do most of if not all the work to avoid a fab shop ripping you a new one.

hdsporty111

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 10 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote hdsporty111

what it you crank tb up a couple inches and get like a 2 in shackle with the 3in bl and sl .      ive seen a bunch of pics on websites with 35s.      Just dont really want to spend the money just to have 33s.   I owned a 88 nissan hardbody and had a 3in bl and 33s with 8in wheels and no rubbing.   sucks there are no 6 inch lifts.

hdsporty111

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Aug 10 2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote hdsporty111

oh and could i just run 33 1250 15  on 8in wheels with just the bl.   thanks

taterb0b

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery