Nissan Frontier Forums

Affiliate Site : Nissan Titan Forums
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Photo GalleryPhoto Gallery
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Sponsored Links

Problems / Technical
 Nissan Frontier Forums : Problems / Technical
Subject Topic: 01 frontier crew cab wont start Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jermo537

Online Status: Offline

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote jermo537

my 01 frontier wont start. drove just fine night before but when i came out in the morning it just clicks a few times and doesnt turn over. the lights seem bright and everything which doesnt seem like a battery problem. what i did anyways was replace the battery and starter and still same problem. im really new to trucks because i have owned hondas all my life. checked fuses and all the simple stuff. me and my roomates think its something electrical or something with the ignition. does this resemble an ignition switch problem by chance? any info would be great....thanks!
Back to Top View jermo537's Profile Search for other posts by jermo537

CRDLIBERTY

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery
Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote CRDLIBERTY

Im looking into purchasing a 2000 crew cab right now.  I have owned a 99 tacoma i found the wall mart battery i was using inferior to make starter copper windings move.  I ended up spending $400 to have them diag work.  I think the real problem was trash marts battery.
Back to Top View CRDLIBERTY's Profile Search for other posts by CRDLIBERTY

jermo537

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote jermo537

CRDLIBERTY wrote:
Im looking into purchasing a 2000 crew cab right now.  I have owned a 99 tacoma i found the wall mart battery i was using inferior to make starter copper windings move.  I ended up spending $400 to have them diag work.  I think the real problem was trash marts battery.

trash mart lol the battery that is in there def is not from walmart and the new one i bought was from checkers...it prob is not much better than walmart either but this prob definitely lies with the electric or ignition...ill try to explain what it does better...when i turn the key to start it it just click a few times and all the lights die out...while the key sits on the on position the lights should be on if the battery is charged...well after trying to start it everything dies...i turn the key off and back to the on position (not start it) and the lights come on and are bright as day...it seems like something shorts out when i try to start it and kills the lights until i turn the ignition to the off position...freakin weird man!

kcidmil
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
HI! My name is Ben and I have Car ADD.

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote kcidmil

well what you describe is the classic case of a dead battery.  The lights will come on decently, but there isn't enough juice to turn the motor over.  There could possibly be a short with your starter relay.  Under the hood on the driver's side there should be a electrical box with some fuses and relays.  The starter relay should be in there.  Swap it out temporarly with one that you know works.  Like your headlights (provided they are the same design)

05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
90 Nissan Maxima SE
12 Nissan Xterra S
Back to Top View kcidmil's Profile Search for other posts by kcidmil Visit kcidmil's Homepage

hintonl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote hintonl

take a hammer tap on the starter see if it will turn over then Had the same thing happen to me the solenoid would stick sometimes.

Back to Top View hintonl's Profile Search for other posts by hintonl

jermo537

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote jermo537

hintonl wrote:
take a hammer tap on the starter see if it will turn over then Had the same thing happen to me the solenoid would stick sometimes.

well i bought a new starter and installed it and it does the exact same thing...bought a battery and installed it and does the exact same thing...it doesnt go to start the car at all it just like clicks, shorts out and all the lights die like the battery completely died...but i turn the key off and turn it to the on position and all the lights are bright as day!! what the?!?!?

hintonl

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote hintonl

Check the negitive battery cable some times they can get all Corroded(sp) up on the inside make sure you have a good ground.

Back to Top View hintonl's Profile Search for other posts by hintonl

jermo537

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote jermo537

well i just called my roadside service to have it towed....i dont wanna mess with it anymore and will pay for the problem to disappear lol god i hope it wasnt a damn battery cable because i paid 100$ for the towing...thanks guys for your help and i will post the solution

kcidmil
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
HI! My name is Ben and I have Car ADD.

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote kcidmil

Sounds to me like the system is shorting out to ground somewhere, maybe in the ignition switch itself.  Oh well, you'll find out here pretty soon.

05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
90 Nissan Maxima SE
12 Nissan Xterra S
Back to Top View kcidmil's Profile Search for other posts by kcidmil Visit kcidmil's Homepage

jermo537

Member's Gallery:
View Gallery

Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote jermo537

well hintonl is the man!  spent 60 bucks to tow it for the auto repair place to tell me they cleaned my negative battery cable im kinda angry about that because i thought i cleaned it good enough myself...but then again my truck has been getting 15 MPG highway which i thought is terrible so i told them to change the spark plugs while it was there...thanks again guys hintonl nailed it!

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version